Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ground Turkey

For those of you who don't eat red meat or want something different from ground beef, you can do all the same things one should be able to do with ground beef...with ground turkey! That's right, from meatballs, patties, even meatloaf, you can substitute traditional beef with turkey. Below are two examples (patties and sautee) that I made with the white meat counterpart.

Step 1: Prepare the the ground turkey of your choice. Below, you see the ingredients I used (minus the extra virgin olive oil). I added in the oil because poultry counterparts tend to less "juicy" than red meat. Also, I found that the oil helps the ground turkey bind and stick together. 



As for the dry ingredients, mix in 1/2 teaspoon of each spice (basil, parsley, and oregano) plus about 1/4 cup of natural ketchup. Additionally, I added in 2 diced mushrooms. Then, mix all the ingredients together until the ketchup has been thoroughly mixed in with the beef and the mushrooms are no longer visible. 


Step 2: One pound of ground turkey is enough for 4 servings. With this batch, I decided to make 1 patties and go ahead and cook the other half (both of which were frozen for later storage). The patties were easy to make, simply divide half the turkey then break down one section into two equal parts. Since I already grilled the turkey, I went ahead and shaped them into patties and cooked them on my George Foreman. Since you want to make sure that poultry is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees, make sure the patties are a medium shape with no large 'bulge' in the middle (ensuring that it will be properly cooked). For the remaining half, just cook the turkey on the skillet until there is no more red/pink in the center. 

I know that there is a lot of confusion over whether or not ground turkey is actually better for than ground beef so I decided to do some research and have reached the following conclusion in the link right here

-Eating Clean in College

No comments:

Post a Comment