Will my ability to eat healthy and cheap be disrupted by such a hectic week? NO! Even though it will be hard, there are still ways to maintain a healthy lifetstyle. If that means that I will only eat at the salad bar or a 6 in Subway sub, then so be it.
In fact, there are healthy cafeteria options to enjoy as enjoy. Here are some of my tips to healthily navigate through a school's cafe:
- Enjoy the salad bars and baked potato bars. Load up on leafy vegetables, beans, tuna, and tofu. Choose items such as nuts or avocados for a little "good" fat and go easy on the dressing
- Choose lean, grilled chicken and fish over meat if possible. sometimes, the Salisbury Steak special is laced with sodium
- Avoid the "grill" lines that offer pizza, nachos, and burgers.
- Ask the chef to hold the butter, oil, mayonnaise, sour cream, and cheese or cream based sauces
- If possible, choose whole wheat rolls over standard rolls, biscuits, and cornbread
- Watch your toppings! Cheese, bacon, dressings, and extra add-on are delicious but come with additional calories, sodium, carbohydrates, and fat
- Pass on high calorie, low nutrient foods such as sugary cereals, ice-cream, cakes, cookies, and other sweet treat. Instead, choose fruit and low fat yogurt to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Choose milk and water over sodas, juices, and sweetened teas
-Eating Clean in College