Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 3

For breakfast I had oatmeal again. This time, I used cinnamon and honey to sweeten it. I ate it with an apple and about 1 tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter. 

I was planning a workout around 11 today so I went to school and packed gym clothes in my backpack. Around 10 I had a small meal of almost a cup of sliced cucumber, 1 cup of popped kettle corn, and an oatmeal bar I baked later on the previous night. The recipe is on the sidebar. 

Of course I drink water throughout the day! Now I am contemplating what I will have for lunch. I should have defrosted some chicken but who knows what kind of healthy and cheap meal I can find in my pantry!

For a snack, I ate about an 1/2 a cup of raw almonds (which is twice the serving size) and two Cuties. For those of you who don't know, Cuties are like tangerines or baby oranges. 

Around 2:30 today I ate a really delicious Italian lunch. It consisted of turkey meatballs, whole grain spaghetti and a green beans sauteed with caramelized onions. In all, it probably took me around 20  minutes to create this meal and it taste MARVELOUS! This wholesome and cheap meal provided me with complex carbohydrates, protein, lycopene, vitamin A, vitamin C and low in sodium and fat (compared to traditional spaghetti and meatballs with canned green beans). Below is the average cost of my meal when you purchase all the ingredients at Walmart
  • fresh green beans- $1.18 per lb, non organic = totaled $.68
  • box of whole grain spaghetti- $.98 when you buy the generic brand!
  • white onion-$.85 per lb, non organic
  • natural ground turkey for turkey meatballs- $2.58
  • canned pasta sauce (check the ingredient list here, the less, the better) $2.50
  • fresh mozzarella cheese (just a sprinkling)- $2.42 a lb
Since the box serves 8 and the ground beef and pasta sauce serve about the same, it totaled to about $10.01! For just 10 bucks, you could have served an entire family- and had leftovers! However, for only one serving, it costs about $1.25! See, it is cheap, healthy, AND delicious.

For dinner, I had the same thing I made for Day 2's dinner. 
I hope you all enjoyed reading this day and there will be many more great recipes to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment