Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Gluten Free Haul

Hello readers! This Monday, I did my first gluten free haul at Sprouts, a local health foods store. Previously, I was living the gluten free life by not seeking out GF alternatives to everyday foods. In other words, my diet mainly consisted of fruits, vegetables, nuts, rice, and dairy products. UNTIL NOW!
Outside my local Sprouts Farmers Market

When I walked into Sprouts, I was excited to start my GF haul. In fact, I was so ready, that I took the time to walk up and down every single aisle. However, that feeling quickly turned into disappointment as I realized that even at a health foods store, the GF alternatives were few in comparison to their traditional counterparts. At one point in time, I was holding back tears when I saw the prices of many gluten free products. I couldn't believe how expensive these products were! However, since I was in the store already (and dealt with 20 minute traffic) there was no way that I was leaving empty handed. Here is what I bought from Sprouts:
Produce:
Blueberries (1 pint) -$1.50
Green Grapes SALE(2 lbs) - $1.94
Mangoes (4) - $2.00
Peaches (2 lbs) - $1.95
Avocado (4) - $3.08
Bananas (2.5 lbs) - $1.26
Pantry
GF "Cocoa Puffs" -$3.49
GF Pizza Crusts - $3.99
Beanfield's Bean and Rice Nacho Chips - $2.99
Blue Diamond Almond Nut-Thins - $2.29
Vans Gluten Free Waffles - $2.99
Risotto $2.79

Total: $30.27
So for a whopping $30, I filled my fridge and a corner of my counter top. For that same $30, I can usually go grocery shopping, as seen here.

-Eating Clean in College




No comments:

Post a Comment