Saturday, November 16, 2013

Snack Review: Wai Lana Chips

Hello readers! If you have been following my blog then you know that I spent the previous week being a vegetarian but I didn't fill you in on Thursday and Friday. Well, I am happy to say that I managed to go until Friday but on Saturday and I ate tuna fish and that officially broke my streak! By the time Sunday rolled around, I already had grilled chicken and beef on two separate occasions.One thing I learned from my vegetarian week was that it is very possible to have vegetables and grains be the highlight of my meal...AND LIKE IT! Usually, I have the animal protein already cooked and THEN I cook the sides later. Typically (due to time and budget constraints) I alternate between steamed broccoli, steamed green beans, brown rice, sauteed spinach, and sauteed zucchini. However, after last weeks vegetarian feasts, I realized that you could incorporate side items as more than just sides. For example, I made a delicious brown rice stir fry instead of cooking plain brown rice! Now on the that review!

I am going to review Wai Lana's Garlic and Herb Cassava chips. Now, for you yoga enthusiasts, you know that Wai Lana is a world renowned yoga guru who brought yoga into the mainstream  According to her website "Wai Lana excels at making the ancient art of yoga a life-enhancing experience for anyone who practices along with her." (www.wailana.com). Well I haven't heard of her but I am sure that she is as influential as her website says she is. 
Upon opening opening the bag, I was overcome by the strong smell of garlic. You'd think this would be a good thing, right? WRONG! The chips had such a strong garlic taste that I barely managed to eat four...and those four left my breath smelling like garlic for an hour. Not to mention, there was a nasty after taste of garlic in my mouth that lingered on for what seemed like h-o-o-o-o--u-u-r-s. If you really like the taste of garlic then I say go ahead and buy them. Otherwise, do your breath a favor and leave these chips on the stand. 
Good: gluten free, no preservatives, no artificial flavors, wheat and soy free, dairy free, 129 calories a bag
Bad: I couldn't stand the taste. If this is the new wave of chips, then I'm okay with not finding a "healthy alternative."
-Eating Clean in College

No comments:

Post a Comment