Friday, September 6, 2013

Crunch Time! and how to Make your Food Last Longer

Well readers, I have lasted over a month without grocery shopping but I think that it is about time that I go again! The only reason why I was able to survive for so long was because the first week of school had so many events with free food and snacks, so I was able to ward off hunger for a few days. Luckily, I also went to a recruitment event off campus that offered us free dinner. While I did get lucky over the past week, my pantry and fridge at home are looking pretty empty. I'm talking like down to a can of tuna and beans empty!
In light of my recent struggle, I have come up with some personal tips on how to extend the food in your fridge and pantry!
Produce 
  • Buy frozen fruits and vegetables and only use them once all the fresh produce in your fridge have gone bad! 
  • Make sure you know the shelf life of certain foods. Based off experience, below is how long I noticed my produced lasted after they were washed and properly stored. 
    • 4-6 Days: Blueberries (4), grapes (5), cauliflower, grapefruit, lemons, oranges, broccoli, pears, tomatoes, spinach, and watermelon. 
    • 7+ days: Apples, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, potatoes, and mushrooms
    • Buy bananas when they are still a little green so that they have a longer shelf life
  • Swirl berries in a mixture of one part vinegar to 10 parts water. You won't taste the vinegar and the solution will stop them from molding.
  • You know what they say about one bad apple ruining the whole bunch? That old wives tale is true so if you spot a rotten one, throw it away immediately! The same goes for all fruits and vegetables.
  • Lastly, you can find certain brands of tupperware that create "fridge smart" containers. Storing fruits and vegetables in these can make them last fresher, longer!
Breakfast Foods
  • Usually, I buy eggs, cereal, and oatmeal. While I like to keep some variety in my diet, I know that it is best to eat the eggs first since they will spoil in a short amount of time. Once the eggs are finished, I move on to cereal, and then oatmeal. 
Dairy
  • Buy a gallon of dairy milk and a carton of almond or soy milk. Once the dairy milk goes bad, then you have an alternative dairy choice to rely on!
Proteins
  • Buy frozen meats! They are already meant to be preserved for the long haul so there is no need to buy fresh meats if you can't afford (or have time to) to frequently go grocery shopping.
  • Consider alternative sources of proteins such as beans and mushrooms! They go great in chili's and burgers and have less fat, more fiber, and more vitamins than their animal counterparts! 
General Tips
  • Eat the right portions! If you find that your fridge gets empty rather quickly, then it is time to look at your portions!
  • Don't be afraid to eat on campus for free food! I know that it might now be clean, but what college student doesn't love free food?!
  • Save money and the planet and ditch plastic water bottle for reusable ones! You can purchase a 34 fl ounce bobble for only $13 and get free shipping on all orders over $20! bobble is a stylish, resubale water bottle that filters water as you drink using a replaceable carbon filter. When the water passes through the filter, the carbon removes all kinds of contaminants. Check them out now! Water bobble
-Eating Clean in College

No comments:

Post a Comment