Monday, December 24, 2012

Day 27

Breakfast: Before I left for the week with my friends family, I went grocery shopping and bought a couple of pantry items and produce that did not require refrigeration. In the morning, I made scrambled eggs (that were already at her house) with oatmeal and almond milk. As a side, I cut up a whole mango and ate 1/2 of it. In all, I would say that this was a very balanced breakfast since it included whole grains, fresh fruit, and a lean source of protein. Oatmeal is filling, full of fiber, and has relativity low amounts of gluten that make it safe for those with celiac disease to eat. Mangoes are also filled with fiber and Vitamin E and are known to help lower cholesterol and fight off high blood pressure- like many fruits and vegetables do. Eggs are all-natural, and one egg has lots of vitamins and minerals—all for 70 calories. The nutrients in eggs can play a role in weight management, muscle strength, healthy pregnancy, brain function, eye health and more. At less than 15 cents apiece, eggs are an affordable and delicious breakfast option. (eggs not pictured)

Snacks: a small handful of walnut and the other half of the mango from breakfast; a fiber bar

Lunch: 2 pieces of leftover grilled chicken from last night and a a small cup of almond milk. You could say that this meal was nothing but protein but my choices were very limited as to what I could eat.

Dinner: Tonight, my family friends all reunited with their high school friends and we ate at Buffalo Wild Wings. This was probably my first true test of my will. I immediately checked to see if they had WiFi and looked up healthy choices at BWW. After some frantic search, I realized that BWW served naked wings- grilled chicken strips. Of course, they are not on the menu. I ordered that and substituted the traditional fries with the celery and carrot boat. See, eating out can be easy! All it takes is some knowledge of the menu- and sometimes, what is NOT on the menu! 

-Eating Clean in College

No comments:

Post a Comment